-->

Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Beginning

The notion of Practicing Philosopher is from a science fiction story whose name and author are now forgotten by an aging mind. Here is a paraphrased synopsis of the story line.

If you are being chased by green demons and you go to a psychiatrist, she will try to help you by relating these delusions to your past experiences and help you try to overcome these delusions. If you go to a priest, she will try and exorcise these demons for you. If you go to a practicing philosopher, she will pick up a stick and help you chase these demons away.

The first time I read this story, the notion of a practicing philosopher really appealed to me at level that I can't begin to articulate. It struck me as a deeply compassionate act. This is a level of compassion that I aspire to but have not achieved. This is the level of compassion of an awakened mind, imho.

No comments:

Post a Comment